God's Grace in My Life

this is a site where you can learn about random, weird, and crazy things that can happen in a girl's life as well as how God uses all of these things to bring honor and glory to him

March 08, 2009

Eyebrow Threading

I got my eyebrows threaded yesterday. At first, I wasn't quite sure why I did it, but after an extended analysis, here is my conclusion: curiosity, convenience, and to save 8 dollars.
Eyebrow threading is where the threader (whose eyebrows were atrociously overgrown)uses cotton thread and masterfully and forcefully rips your hair out. The benefit of threading is that it is allegedly more precise and apparently, eyebrow roots go all the way to your brain stem and ripping them out this way slows their regrowth.

Let me recreate the scene.
You've seen people giving massages in the mall, right? Who would want to sit on a chair and have a strange person touch you while others walk by gawking at you. Well, threading is very similar. You sit in a chair made for someone who is 4'9" so your neck is unsupported and you feel like you are about to get beheaded.
Initially, the conversation went like this, "What do you do?" Her English was pretty good. I hesitated to answer because when I go to the salon and they say, "what do you do?" It is usually referring to occupation. Then she said, "you wax?" I was appreciative of her clarification. I said yes closed my eyes, ready to take a little nap. Then the lady said "go like this". She wanted me to cover my own closed eye with one hand and use my other hand to pull my forehead back toward my spine. So here I am in the middle of the mall, flopped on a chair with my elbows up in the air. How attractive.

Since I usually wax my eyebrows, I thought this would be relaxing. WRONG. Apparently, threading is a nice way of saying, "sit in this chair and we will make you feel like we are slitting through all three layers of skin to reveal your skull."

I thought she may've needed some feedback about what I was feeling in case pain was abnormal. My eye was watering, but she couldn't see this since it was blocked by my hands...
So I made a noise of discomfort. It may have sounded moan-like...I am not quite sure.
She didn't respond so I tried contorting my face so she could see my pain. No luck.
I finally resorted to sighing. Well, sort of sighing. It was more like gasping. Still no luck.
When she was finally finished with my public torture session, I paid and thought, "What was I thinking?!" Well, now I know what threading is...and you do too.

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 12:16 AM, Blogger Katiebug said...

OK - so reading this made me relive all the pain, but I got a much better laugh out of it this time. Let's just chalk this up to "Don't be that stupid ever again!" lol

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Shen, I had never even heard of threading before! Next time I see you, I will wax your brows for free if you would like. It will be like old times! :)
Libosheth

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger The Harrisons said...

You never cease to give me a good laugh Jenn!

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh my jen....glad you are doing all of the weird things so that i dont have to experience it. hahaha

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Mrs. Pizo said...

I have never even heard of this. I am glad that you filled me in though. Hope you recover. LOL!

 
At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool.
i never knew you could thread that.
its kind of...well...
(searching for the right word)
mournful...sort of.
i should come here more often.
i found your blog in google.

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am soooo glad that I read this because I have been so tempted to try "threading" guess I will stick to waxing! sorry to say this but i enjoyed reading about your experience - you have always had a way with words:)

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yes - I guess you should know who is leaving comments on your blog! Rachael Carpenter

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Samantha said...

I've never heard of that before! OUCH! I put off waxing my brows for so long because I can't handle the pain, I know I wouldn't try something new. You're brave. ;)

PS- It's Samantha from Ohio. You inspired me to get into blogging again :)

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Kujomania said...

I read this a while back and got a good laugh! I was checking back in at your blog again, and I had to re-read it, and I get a great laugh every time!! Thank you Jen!

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Leocyrus1 said...

I've never heard of that before! OUCH! Car Accident Lawyer San Diego

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger ammarbder said...

شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بالرياض

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: New Hampshire, United States