God's Grace in My Life

this is a site where you can learn about random, weird, and crazy things that can happen in a girl's life as well as how God uses all of these things to bring honor and glory to him

January 27, 2009

Who thought, "Hmmm, let's shove some heated round plastic into our hair and see what it does?"



Today I re-discovered why God has not called me to be a hairdresser...I will get to that in a moment. First, I am going to re-visit some early hair memories:
1. Mom told me I could not go away to camp until I could do my own hair. "Doing my own hair" meant brushing it and putting in into a ponytail. (Just in case anyone was wondering, I was a slow learner...I think I went away to camp in 3rd grade?? Maybe
4th?)
2. Dawn taught me how to do "hair exercises" when I was in 2nd grade. This is where you flip your head upside down and flop your hair from side to side and up and down. It is like singing "Inright, outright, upright, downright" and doing the motions with your hair instead of your hands. Dawn, do you think you could re-enact this and put it on youtube?
3. 4th grade. Bangs. Need I say more?
4. 7th and 8th grade I wore a messy bun every day. Mom about had a coronary.
5. All through high school I attempted to cut my own hair. Bad idea.
6. 12th grade. Christmas day. New curling iron that was too hot = completely singed bangs.
7. On my senior trip my best friend and I got "Hair Painting kits" to highlight our hair. When you use that type of a kit, it is best to use a cap so you don't end up "painting" inconsistently...we didn't use a cap. Can you say SPOTS?
8. I once tried giving Amanda a hair cut right before she left for camp. It was absolutely hideous (can you say "bob in the front, middle of the back in the back"? It was like a morphed mullet. Even mom was horrified. I lied to Amanda and told her it looked awesome. The poor girl had to leave for camp the next morning and I didn't want her to feel insecure the whole time.

It seemed like every Sunday afternoon in high school was spent messing with my hair. I tried using hot rollers several times with no luck. I even had these cool hot pink ones that bent and twisted...those ended up knotted in my hair. Mom always said it would just take practice and I always thought it was my lack of fine motor skills.

Well, today I tried using hot rollers again.
And had more right angles than curls.
I can't blame it on practice. I tried putting the same curler in 19 times. It definitely is a gift or maybe a creative gene that I just do not have.
As for my next hair event, I will be testing Rogaine. I got it free from CVS and could use some hair-replacement therapy due to my recent hot roller escapade.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you seriously get Rogaine just because it was free???

You are too funny!!

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You never fail to make me laugh...esp. about hair! Goodness....you've had some rough times. Remember when you discovered that you NEEDED to use conditioner so that your hair wouldn't be oily??

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger vicki said...

jen you are a blast!!!!
at least you didnt want me to write you a note for being late to school because you had spent so much time on your hair and it wouldnt turn out right....ahem...Dawn :)!!!

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger The Harrisons said...

I am so with you - I can't do hair either!!! Probably a good thing I am having another boy :-)

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

Oh Jen, I have had equally bad hair experiences but it is because my hair is curly, and I didn't learn how to tame it until I was in high school. Sometimes I get kinks in my hair that do not want to straighten...even with a flat iron! AHHHH. :) I have a period of time in my life where you will not find a picture of me - I have had far too many bad hair cuts! Let me know how the Rogaine goes. You can have some of my hair if you want? I think you would look cute with dark brown curls!!!! :) Le me know, I will save them next time I get my hair cut.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

p.s. props for getting Roagaine free at CVS!

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Mrs. Pizo said...

You crack me up. I can only imagine you trying to put you roller in 19 times.

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen - do you remember when I put hot (or was it sponge) rollers in your hair when we were in Scotland? you have alway had a slight hair obesession:) I remember laying in a bunk watching you brush out your hair in Mexico.... so precise and careful with each strand!! You are sooo funny - R Carpenter

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Leocyrus1 said...

nice blog... Car Accident Lawyer San Diego

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: New Hampshire, United States